Pre Operative Instructions
Pre Operative Instructions For Surgery
You are to receive intravenous anesthesia and must follow these instructions:
- HAVE AN EMPTY STOMACH, i.e.,
- If your surgery is scheduled for 1:00pm or earlier, DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK, NOT EVEN WATER, after midnight before our appointment.
- If your surgery is scheduled for later than 1:00pm, you may have fluids, at least six hours before surgery, consisting of a 6 oz. cup of apple juice, water or black coffee. Do not have any dairy products or sugar. DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE to eat or drink.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you at the time of your surgery. We require that your escort remain in our office during your surgery and then be available to drive you home. It is against our office policy to send a patient home after being sedated in a cab or by any public transportation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but our first priority is the safety of our patients. Please make prior arrangements to leave small children at home.
- Remove your contact lenses, except Permalenses, before your appointment.
- Wear short sleeve or loose clothing. No one piece outfits, no flip flops, or backless shoes.
- Remove fingernail polish.
- If you take daily medications, please ask for specific instructions regarding these medications.
- As a courtesy to your physician and other patients, please turn off your cell phone before entering treatment area.
- If you were given prescriptions at your pre-op visit, please have them filled prior to your surgery date.
- Because your diet will consist of cold, soft foods the day of surgery, be sure to have ice cream, pudding, Jell-O, etc. on hand.